Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dedication

There are so many ways to define dedication. While the traditional definition of the word, in the sense in which I use it today, as defined by the American Heritage Dictionary is: selfless devotion; more often we turn to actions to define dedication. And, of course, actions are dependent upon what we are dedicated to. There are multiple dedications - work, family, community. They can also be such things as dedications to hobbies, interests, pets, even individuals themselves. Actions defining such dedications could be things like working late, sacrificing something we want for something our family needs, giving of our own precious time to better our community. Even things such as attending hobby fairs, collecting memorabilia of a favorite actor or band, or staying home with a sick pet could be considered demonstrations of dedication.

In addition, dedication can be viewed in may ways. Sometimes it is something to be respected, an honorable thing Sometimes it is viewed as silly, fanatical or just plain stupid. Well, to each their own opinions as to what is honorable and what is stupid. But we all have our ideas as to what is dedication. But, I write today not to wax eloquent of the philosophy of dedication, but to share with you an example of such dedication that I witnessed during my commute to the office this morning.

This morning I found myself stopped by a red traffic light approximately five minutes from my office building. Of course, this would stand to reason, since at that point I should have been at work for five minutes already. Damn that Murphy. So, as I sat swearing at the light that had so viciously turned red at the exact time I needed it to be green, I happened to glance across the intersection and to my left, at the waiting cars on the other side. An immediate double-take ensued. There was a small, tan, compact vehicle of some sort, in the lane closest to the turning lane, impatiently inching forward, anticipating the change in the light. Inside the vehicle sat a person of whose gender I was unable to ascertain. This person had a bright yellow stocking cap on his/her head. (I would point out that while the morning was chilly, it was still about 42 degrees, not cold enough in my opinion for such a hat.) Where the yellow cap would probably not have normally caught my attention on its own, the thick winter snow gloves peeking out from above the steering wheel, and the heavy winter coat added to the odd scene. But finally, I was most taken aback by the very large, and most unmistakable, amber-colored ski goggles perched, not comfortably on the driver's head, but over his/her eyes like most people wear sunglasses. I should probably mention that there was no evidence of a pair of skis anywhere on the vehicle, since there was no way they'd fit in the trunk, and they would have been capable of being seen had they been in the back seat, (though most likely would have been hanging out of one of the windows in order to have fit). There wasn't even a ski rack on top of the car.

Now that, my friends, is dedication.

No comments: